Google Global Site Tag (gtag)
The Google Global Site Tag Integration push events data to Google Analytics, and to Google Ads if you have enabled Gtag in your Google Ads account. Follow this guide to connect your Google Ads account with Google Analytics: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033961?hl=en
The GTAG integration works with GA4 (Google Analytics 4) out of the box, and with UA as long as the corresponding events are defined in your Universal Analytics setup. The integration activates the site tag client side, which means it sends the events to google analytics directly from the browser. Much like setting up a Google Analytics tracker yourself, but with predefined events mainly for e-commerce.
- 1.Log into your engage account
- 2.Click "Add destinations" on the home page and select the Google Global Site Tag
- 3.Set the GTAG ID and select the events to be included
- 1.GTAG ID for Google Analytics 4 (G-XXXXXXXXXX)
- 2.GTAG ID for Universal Analytics (UA-XXXXXXX-X)
- 4.Use a Google Ads conversion by adding a Conversion action ID.
- 1.Make sure to include
AW-in the ID
The following events are mapped out-of-the-box for you when you activate the Google Global Site Tag integration. All of these events will be available in Google Analytics, and all data in Google Analytics can be used for dynamic ads and remarketing in Google Ads.
Follow these steps to get your conversion action ID. If you don't have any setup yet, create a new one in step 3.
- 1.In your Google Ads account, click the Tools and Settings menu. ()
- 2.Select Measurement: Conversions, which opens to the Conversion Actions table.
- 3.Select the name of the conversion that you want to use from the Conversion action column.
- 4.Expand the tab for Tag setup to view the tag details.
- 5.Select Use Google Tag Manager.
- 6.Scroll to the code snippet section and look for an id starting with
AW-. That is your conversion action ID.
- 7.Get the Conversion action ID.
Code snippet example
<!-- Global site tag (gtag.js) - Google Ads: 123456789 -->
<script async src="https://www.googletagmanager.com/gtag/js?id=AW-123456789"></script>
window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || ;
gtag('js', new Date());